Saturday, February 2, 2013

January totally flew by!

I hope you enjoyed my Surinamese favorites, I certainly enjoyed sharing them with you!
But still, I don't really feel like I had the opportunity to share everything I wanted to share... So I'm just going to continue sharing and sharing and sharing  ;)

If you'd like to explore Surinamese cooking a little more (and you just happen to speak Dutch...) there's an awesome cookbook "Het groot Surinaams kookboek" that's been on the market since 1976!
It was originally intended as a guidebook for the students of the domestic science school (huishoudschool) in Paramaribo, but it has been purchased and used by just about everyone. The recipes are accurate and concise, however they use a lot of Surinamese names/descriptions so it might be a little challenging for a newbie to Surinamese food. Either way if you'd like to give it a try, you can order it here.

Just the other day my cousin and I tried out their recipe for "abongra koekjes" (Surinamese sesame cookies) and they turned out nice and crispy with full sesame flavor. I wouldn't consider it one of my favorites, but they're yummie none the less :)

abongra koekjes

No comments:

Post a Comment