Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie

As the weather get's suckier each day, I long for some hearty winter food. Shepherd's pie is one of my favorites but I've never tried to make a veggie version before. Since there has to be a first for everything, I give you (drum ruffle) tadadaaaaa my version of vegetarian shepherd's pie.
And yes, I'm sticking with shepherd, not cottage, 'cause really who can say what type of fake minced meat this is and either way I think it sounds better :)

I made it on impulse, so basically I just grabbed whatever was in the fridge. Therefore my ingredients might not be completely in line with tradition. Either way it tasted yummm, so decide for yourself if you're willing to risk it.

I used about half of a very big carrot, half a courgette, a medium onion, about 150 grams of vegetarian minced meat. Since I didn't have any celery stalks I used a very generous hand of celery leaves and stems to add some punch. Simply chop up the onions and sauté in some olive oil in pan. Add the other veggies and stir fry on high heat. Add the veggie meat, some thyme, about 3-4 tbsp of ketchup,
3-4 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce, 2-3 bay leaves and continue frying for a few minutes. Personally,
I really like the taste of Worcestershire sauce in this, but most people wouldn't use more than 2 tbsp... oh well. Season with some salt and pepper, add some water and leave to simmer for 10 minutes or so.

For your mash you'll need some potatoes, butter and milk. Peel potatoes and boil them in salted water until tender. Drain, then mash with butter and milk. Add some salt and nutmeg to taste. I like my mash nice and creamy so I'm very generous with the butter and milk.

Now simply place your mince mixture in a casserole dish and top with the mash. A little butter on top and in the oven she goes for 30-40 minutes at 180 C.
I forgot to take any other pictures, but I think you get the picture :D

No comments:

Post a Comment