Friday, July 13, 2012

Terik Tempe

Still trying very hard to not eat any meat.  And this is such a yummie vegetarian dish. Maybe not the prettiest food, but trust me it’s very tasty ;)

Ok so let me explain what exactly tempe is. Tempe is made out of fermented soy beans. On the outside it sort of looks like a block of brie cheese. On the inside you can see the whole beans. Young tempe doesn’t really have a lot of odor. However the older it gets, the more you will be able to smell the fermentation…

I had bought my tempe a few weeks ago in one of those hunger inspired shopping spree’s but I never got around to making it until today (*note to self: don NOT shop when hungry!).
I decided to make terik tempe, which is an Indonesian dish. Btw tempe is originally from Indonesia. According to the expiry date, I should have made this a few days earlier... oopsie.  Which brings me to the question: how do you know when your tempe has  gone bad? Well that’s a hard one to answer. The line between nicely fermented tempe and rotten tempe is culturally drawn. So if you’re in doubt about the state of your tempe, cut it up and taste it. If it tastes good to you, than it is!
So that’s exactly what I did. I cut up the tempe and fried it golden brown in some sunflower oil. I was a bit anxious ‘cause I really didn’t feel like going to the store again and I really really wanted to try this recipe. But fortunately it tasted a ok!

Thankfully I moved on to the recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment